English for Nursing & Healthcare
English for Nursing & Healthcare is designed to improve the communication skills and specialist English language knowledge of healthcare professionals, enabling them to work more confidently and effectively. With an emphasis on listening and speaking, the course covers core areas of nursing such as patient admission, taking medical specimens, patient handover, post-operative assessment and discharge planning. The course focuses on authentic tasks and activities based on everyday nursing and healthcare scenarios – from dealing with patients in pain, hospital admissions, to discussing lifestyle changes, which makes the course relevant and motivating. The course also features online activities which focus on the latest advances in nursing technology.
Authentic medical texts, realistic patient scenarios and practical nursing tasks help prepare learners for their day-to-day working lives.
Online activities which focus on the latest advances in nursing technology help keep nurses up-to-date and confident when faced with unfamiliar equipment in new environments.
Speaking skills development activities simulate real-life communication, such as describing and giving information about healthcare procedures, giving instructions, warnings and discussing workplace problems. These are practised using role-play and information gap tasks that involve finding out information from a partner.
A Focus on communication skills helps nurses to build rapport with their patients, their relatives and colleagues and become more effective in their work-based interactions.
Extra online reference material including a glossary of medical terms, common acronyms and abbreviations, and sample medical charts and forms provide valuable support for teachers and self-study students.
Reading and listening skills are developed through tasks that involve studying authentic and simplified authentic-type texts. Listening texts prepare students for communication with native speakers and non-native speakers by using recordings that contain different accents and regional variation.
Who is the course for?
All nurses, medical practitioners and general medical personnel working in either patient care or specialist medical facilities.
- Starting Dates: On request
- Duration: 2 -8 weeks
- Lessons per week: 23 hours
- Minimum English Level: Intermediate
- Maximum students per class: 12 students
8.30 am – 10.30 am or 10.30 am – 12.30 pm
Monday to Friday
English for Nursing & Healthcare
12.40 pm – 2.40 pm or 2.40 pm – 4.40 pm
Monday to Thursday
8.30 am – 4.40 pm
Monday to Friday
1 hour per day
Price (Quoted per week)
- €350 for 2-4 weeks
- €330 for 5-8 weeks
- Tuition fees
- Placement test
- All course materials
- Personal Study Programme
- End-of-course certificate
- Unlimited free wi-fi access on school premises
- Access to free online English courses through Net Languages and Ih World
What is a Personal Study Programme [PSP]?
- Managed, guided and monitored learning
- Flexible and based on individual needs
- An opportunity for students to work together
- Supported by a wide range of activities and resources
- Up to 20 minutes of 1:1 with a teacher every week
- Time with qualified teachers
- An opportunity for specialised English study
(e.g. for business, aviation, exam preparation, etc.)
PSP is not…
- Undirected or disorganised self-access
- Prescribed by teachers using a fixed syllabus
- An isolated hour of individual work
- Only computer-based
- 1:1 every day (the ratio is usually 1:6-8)
- Staffed by untrained supervisors
- A closed group, general English course
Why the change?
The new timetable is aimed at improving the overall ‘student experience’ by creating a network of social learning spaces. In addition to classroom learning, this will include
● creating opportunities for interaction with a greater number of students and teachers
● providing students with a Personal Study Programme that caters to their individual needs, without the expense of 1:1 lessons
● enabling students to reach personal goals as quickly as possible through the development of independent learning skills
● offering a wider range of print and online study resources
● improving access to facilities and staff through the implementation of a more flexible schedule.
Payment: Payment can be by credit card [3.5% additional fees] or bank transfer.
Public holiday notice: Should the school be closed due to a public holiday, ONLY private lessons are made up in full.
“I would like to thank IH Cape Town for the beautiful time. I had the possibility to get to know amazing people from different countries of the world.”
"I am able to say that I'm a better person because of Ih Cape Town. Ih Cape Town offered me the opportunity to meet new people; to be more open-minded and I am really thankful for it."
Elizabeth Djanie Badjoko-Wa-Lileko
“Ih Cape Town is an amazing English school. It’s location in Sea Point makes it a safe place, with a safe surrounding. Teachers are awesome. Each teacher has unique qualities and is very loveable. I don’t regret any second I spent here. I truly fell in love with the school and with Cape Town.”
Salmah Hani. Sait
"I really improved my conversation and my English level. I met a lot of new friends. I am delighted about the school and the teachers."
"Ih is an amazing school. The teachers do their best to make sure that we students learn the language in a way that we won’t forget. Besides the teachers, the staff is like a family, takes care of us very well."
“I had the best moment of my life in IH Cape Town. I’m going to miss you guys.”
Lucia Elisa Benza Tito