What is the Cambridge CELTA?
The prestigious CELTA certificate, opens up doors to an exciting career teaching and travelling all around the world.
- Upon successful completion of the course, graduates receive the CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certificate issued by the University of Cambridge.
- The course covers classroom techniques, awareness and analysis of language, how to teach skills, planning and resourcing, and further develops teaching techniques and professionalism
- With the education sector being one of South Africa’s and the world’s highest export industries and demand for English fluency at an all time high, the need for CELTA qualified teachers is higher than ever
- As a member of the International House World Organisation, we introduce our graduates to many teaching opportunities within our 155 schools in 55 countries, as well as with third parties in China who guarantee work opportunity for our graduates.
120 contact hours, which include:
These explore teaching methodologies such as: how to teach speaking, writing, reading, grammar, pronunciation, vocabulary and function; how to analyse language; how to teach adults in a variety of contexts; lesson planning; how to adapt and create classroom materials; factors affecting motivation, cultural backgrounds and learning styles.
- Six hours of assessed teaching practice with real students in real classes
- Detailed oral and written feedback of your teaching practice
- Time to ask your tutor questions about your teaching practice lessons
- Six hours observing lessons taught by experienced teachers
- A minimum of 120 hours self-study at home including required course reading, lesson preparation and course assignments
How we Teach:
English language teaching at International House is based on Communicative Language Teaching methodology. The central principles that surround this approach to language teaching are based on students being very active and engaged in the classroom. Lessons are ‘student-centred’, allowing students to participate fully and discover English with their teacher facilitating this process. For learning to be successful, students must be motivated, and by encouraging and engaging our students, we achieve very positive learning outcomes.
- Be 18 years old or over
- Have a standard of education required for entry into higher education
- Have an awareness of language, and a competence in both written and spoken English
(NB: Non-native speakers with an overall IELTS 7.5, TOEFL iBT 110)
- A pre-course interview will assess your potential to develop the skills required to pass the course
You are assessed throughout the course on your:
- 6 hours of teaching practice (includes lesson planning, classroom teaching and self-evaluation)
- 4 written assignments (between 750- and 1000 words each), and overall professionalism
There is no final examination
R 17 250
21 January – 15 February
4 March – 29 March
13 May – 7 June
24 June – 19 July
12 August – 6 September
30 September – 25 October
11 November – 6 December
12 August – 29 November
How to Apply
Download the application form below and email back to us, or for enquiries you can contact us first.
Once we have received and assessed your application, we will contact you to arrange an interview. These are generally face to face with the trainer. For applicants living outside Cape Town area, the interview can be conducted on the telephone or Skype.
The interview involves a discussion of the pre-interview task, ideas about teaching and learning, details about the course structure and requirements, and an opportunity for candidates to ask further questions. The total time for the interview is approximately 2 hours.
Enrolment is subject to successful completion of the interview. A deposit of 50% is required to book your seat in the class.
• Internationally recognised qualification
• High job prospects as IH Cape Town has its internal recruitment system
• 4 weeks full time or 16 weeks part time
• 2 weeks optional graduate internship
• Taught by highly skilled and experienced trainers
• No previous teaching experience required
• Develops job ready skills
• International job prospects
Who is CELTA designed for?
• Native or near native English speakers
• People who want to turn their interest and enthusiasm for language, travel and other cultures into a career or unique experience
• People starting a career in English language teaching
• Experienced teachers who want to further develop their communicative teaching skills
• People looking for a formal teaching qualification
• Career changers or people looking for a career break
• The ability to plan a lesson and select or adapt materials accordingly
• The ability to deliver effective lessons covering language and skills at a range of levels
• The ability to manage and motivate a class of adult learners
• The ability to adapt teaching techniques to the learning context
Assessment and certificate
(as stated in the CELTA Syllabus and Assessment Guidelines)
- Assessment is continuous and integrated. Continuous means that assessment takes place throughout the course. Integrated means that both assessed components contribute to the overall grade.
- The two components of assessment :
- Component One: Planning and teaching
- Component Two: Classroom-related written assignments
- The certificate will be awarded to candidates who meet the course requirements and whose performance meets, or exceeds, the criteria in both assessment components. Candidates are ineligible for the award in cases where dishonesty or plagiarism is brought to the attention of Cambridge Assessment English.
Upon successful completion of the course you will receive the Cambridge certificate and a personalised end-of-course report from IH Cape Town.
Watch this video if you are interested in learning more about Teaching English as a Foreign Language [TEFL]:
“I would like to thank IH Cape Town for the beautiful time. I had the possibility to get to know amazing people from different countries of the world.”
"I am able to say that I'm a better person because of Ih Cape Town. Ih Cape Town offered me the opportunity to meet new people; to be more open-minded and I am really thankful for it."
Elizabeth Djanie Badjoko-Wa-Lileko
“Ih Cape Town is an amazing English school. It’s location in Sea Point makes it a safe place, with a safe surrounding. Teachers are awesome. Each teacher has unique qualities and is very loveable. I don’t regret any second I spent here. I truly fell in love with the school and with Cape Town.”
Salmah Hani. Sait
"I really improved my conversation and my English level. I met a lot of new friends. I am delighted about the school and the teachers."
"Ih is an amazing school. The teachers do their best to make sure that we students learn the language in a way that we won’t forget. Besides the teachers, the staff is like a family, takes care of us very well."
“I had the best moment of my life in IH Cape Town. I’m going to miss you guys.”
Lucia Elisa Benza Tito