CELTA Course and Certification
(Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
IH Cape Town is proud to offer the highly recommended Cambridge CELTA course. If you want a professional, internationally recognised qualification in English language teaching to adults, this is the course for you. It is a practical, work-related qualification aimed at graduates or other suitably qualified applicants who have little or no previous teaching experience.
CELTA is one of the most widely-recognised and highly respected qualifications for English language teaching. It is awarded by Cambridge Assessment English through the University of Cambridge, which ensures quality and high standards. Its international reputation also increases opportunities to teach overseas and in private English language teaching centres in South Africa.
CELTA is the original teacher training course for English language teachers, and is based on the International House Certificate which was initially run in London in 1962. Not only will you get to experience all the benefits of the Cambridge CELTA course, but our trainers will bring their wealth of teaching and training experience along to enrich your overall learning experience.
Courses have a minimum of 120 contact hours over four weeks, including:
- Supervised lesson planning
- Six hours’ assessed teaching practice per candidate supervised by a course tutor
- Feedback on teaching practice
- Peer observation of teaching practice
- Six hours’ observation of experienced teachers (live and DVD)
- Consultation time
You will also need to dedicate an additional 180 hours for the required reading, research, pre- and post-session tasks, assignments and lesson preparation.
This course is very intensive and requires a full-time commitment. It is not possible or advisable to hold even a part-time job while on the course.
The syllabus consists of five specific topic areas:
- Topic 1 Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Topic 2 Language analysis and awareness
- Topic 3 Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Topic 4 Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Topic 5 Developing teaching skills and professionalism
Assessment and certificate
(as stated in the CELTA Syllabus and Assessment Guidelines)
- Assessment is continuous and integrated. Continuous means that assessment takes place throughout the course. Integrated means that both assessed components contribute to the overall grade.
- The two components of assessment :
- Component One: Planning and teaching
- Component Two: Classroom-related written assignments
- The certificate will be awarded to candidates who meet the course requirements and whose performance meets, or exceeds, the criteria in both assessment components. Candidates are ineligible for the award in cases where dishonesty or plagiarism is brought to the attention of Cambridge Assessment English.
Upon successful completion of the course you will receive the Cambridge certificate and a personalised end-of-course report from IH Cape Town.
Watch this video if you are interested in learning more about Teaching English as a Foreign Language [TEFL].
VIDEO LINK MISSING FROM DOCUMENT
“I would like to thank IH Cape Town for the beautiful time. I had the possibility to get to know amazing people from different countries of the world.”
"I am able to say that I'm a better person because of Ih Cape Town. Ih Cape Town offered me the opportunity to meet new people; to be more open-minded and I am really thankful for it."
Elizabeth Djanie Badjoko-Wa-Lileko
“Ih Cape Town is an amazing English school. It’s location in Sea Point makes it a safe place, with a safe surrounding. Teachers are awesome. Each teacher has unique qualities and is very loveable. I don’t regret any second I spent here. I truly fell in love with the school and with Cape Town.”
Salmah Hani. Sait
"I really improved my conversation and my English level. I met a lot of new friends. I am delighted about the school and the teachers."
"Ih is an amazing school. The teachers do their best to make sure that we students learn the language in a way that we won’t forget. Besides the teachers, the staff is like a family, takes care of us very well."
“I had the best moment of my life in IH Cape Town. I’m going to miss you guys.”
Lucia Elisa Benza Tito