Career advice for TEFL
Particularly – but by no means exclusively – for those beginning a career in TEFL (TESOL) and our CELTA course, we include ELT careers advice as an integral part of our courses.
The International House World Organisation is the most internationally-recognised group of language schools in the world, with over 150 schools in 50+ countries, so the opportunities for work worldwide are unparalleled by any other teaching organisation – and having taken a course at an IH centre will undoubtedly open many doors. The original TEFL course, of which hundreds of imitations now exist, was created by International House.
Together with the International House Barcelona teacher training department, IH Cape Town offers its teacher trainees careers advice in the following ways:
Our careers advice service begins as soon you enrol for a course:
- Contact with previous course participants via email
- Advice and support by email via an e-group
During the course
In addition to the above, which continue to be available, job counselling during your course includes:
- Help with effective CVs (resumes)
- Job-search tips
- What you can expect from a language school
- What language schools expect of you
- Local job adverts
- Internet sites for job vacancies
- Lists of language schools
- Interview preparation and techniques
- Advice on teaching young learners
- Advice on teaching business students
- Advice on visas, work permits and residence permits
- Advice on contracts
- Information about the IH Careers Path and CPD (Continuous Professional Development)
The help we can provide with a career in TEFL does not end when your course finishes. After your course ends, we provide:
- Help and advice on a wide range of subjects relating to teaching English around the world – join our Facebook group to keep up to date
- Personalised references
- Global job placement assistance via IH Recruitment Access to teaching jobs with the IH World Organisation via International House Recruitment Services
- Regular information about job vacancies via IH Recruitment Local interviews for worldwide jobs
- Lesson planning assistance
- Demo lesson assistance
- Professional development – face-to-face and online courses for teachers
The Welcome Pack on the CELTA course includes the following
- File for your coursework & a pen
- Map of the city
- List of Cape Town information websites
- List of apartment-rental websites
- Information about mobile/cell phones
- Cheap car-rental details
At the end of the first week of your CELTA course, we have welcome drinks on the terrace with the students you are doing your teaching practice with, and farewell drinks there too at the end of the course.
Teacher trainees are also welcome to attend any IH workshops or seminars which may be running during their course.
In August-September 2004 we carried out a large-scale survey of former CELTA course trainees at IH Barcelona, tracking what their post-course experiences in English language teaching have been.
At IH Cape Town we will be compiling a similar survey during the course of the next 12 months so check our CELTA Facebook page for details.